When it comes to buying a wheelchair, there are so many out there in the market, it can be overwhelming. I know I was when I was looking for a wheelchair for my dad. I would sum up the experience of choosing the right wheelchair for your loved one to buying a car.
Here are the KEY points to assist you when you are shopping for a wheelchair:
- Durability and sturdiness
- Ease of use
- Comfort level for the user
- Safety features
- Customer Service
If you are anything like me, I am sure you are baffled by the number of wheelchairs available online. Here I have given reviews of 3 different types of wheelchairs which are quite popular online.
Despite the name of being lightweight, this wheelchair is well built, solid and sturdy. Its wheels are smooth which enables you to propel and push it with ease. This means that the disabled person would not need to put in much effort to propel it. It speeds up your journey as you push the wheelchair around. It collapses easily and fits nicely into the trunk of your car. Its durability makes it suitable to be used anywhere. It is perfect for getting through narrow doorways, bathroom doors and navigating sharp turns in hallways.
One thing that you might look out for is when you fold up the chair, the front foot rest may fall off. According to the manufacturer, it is due to a design flaw on that particular area. This would be the least of your worries as firstly, this is not a common incidence and secondly, Drive Medical has a reliable customer service to assist you should this happen.
- Actual Product Weight: 26 lbs
- Armrest Length: 14″
- Armrest to Floor Height: 27″
- Back of Chair Height: 18″
- Brakes: Push-To-Lock Wheel Brakes
- Casters: 8″
- Closed Width: 10.75″
- Depth of Seat Upholstery: 16″
- Folded Dimensions: 33″ x 10.75″ x 39″
- Number of Wheels: 4
- Overall Length w/ Riggings: 33″
- Overall Product Height: 39″
- Overall Product Length: 33″
- Overall Product Width: 23.5″
- Primary Product Color: Silver Vein
- Primary Product Material: Steel
- Product Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
- Rear Wheels: 8″ x 1″
- Seat to Armrest Height: 8″
- Seat to Floor Height: 19″
- Width Between Armrest Pads: 16.5″
- Width Between Posts: 16.5″
- Width of Seat Upholstery: 19″
- Attractive silver vein finish with nylon upholstery that is durable and easy to clean
- Swing-away footrests come standard
- Convenient cup holder can easily attach to chair (Sold separately)
- Comes with upholstery handles to fold chair and a foldable backrest for storage and transport
- Padded armrests provide additional comfort
- 8″ casters in front and rear come standard with rear wheel locks
- Also available with 17″ seat.
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Rating : 4.4 / 5 stars
Price : US $319.00
Where to Buy: Amazon.com
This electric wheelchair takes away any intimidation that you may had before on these type of chairs. Its lightweight, low maintenance, easily foldable chair focuses more on the user convenience which makes this the ideal electric wheelchair for your loved one.
The Smart Chair’s powerful motor helps it easily climb steep ramps and hills (up to 12 degrees in slope). It also has an amazing turning radius that makes it extremely easy to maneuver through tight hallways and doorways unlike the older electric wheelchairs which may not fit through all openings. This feature makes it easier and safer for your loved one to move around in ease. This chair is eco-friendly as well. It runs on an environmentally friendly lithium ion phosphate battery that lasts for up to 9.3 miles (15 Km) of continuous use. The battery charges from empty to full in 5 hours which enables you to charge it overnight so that it is ready to go in the morning
However, do take note that this is a side access chair, you must enter and exit from the side. Your loved one would need some sort of support above seat level to get in and out of the chair with the back of the wheelchair and the seat as your support. This chair may not be suitable if your loved one has advanced ALS or any other diseases limiting leg strength.
- Size :31.3 x 24 x 33 inches
- Weight: 56 pounds ( with batteries)
- Batteries :2 Lithium ion batteries required (included)
- It can be folded up to store conveniently in a car, SUV trunk and is suitable for traveling in any type of vehicle including Taxi, Bus, Train, Cruise Ship or Airplane.
- It has a small turn radius of 31.5 inches (80 centimeters) to get around tight areas and can climb inclines of up to 12 degrees with ease.
- Joystick/ controller can be mounted on either side on the armrest.
Rating : 4.6 / 5 stars
Price : US $1995.00
Where to buy : Amazon.com ( shipped from and sold by KD SMART)
For those looking for a wheelchair which is very portable, strong, lightweight (approximately 40 pounds) and maneuverable, Drive Medical has the perfect wheelchair for you. It is known as the Rebel Lightweight Wheelchair. It has a quick release rear wheels which allows for easy removal of the wheels on the back to fit tighter storing places. Its back and frame are also foldable to fit almost any trunk and the easily removal footrests make it very convenient for storage. It is easy to be transported if you are travelling by flight. Its arm rests flip up making it easy, fast and much safer for your loved one to do transferring (ie: from the wheelchair to the bed). Moving with the wheelchair requires very little effort and its especially great for turning at tight corners. However, the casters are large and may get in the way when your loved one is rolling over small ledges such as door thresholds.
This wheelchair comes with a cool red paint job which makes it distinctive from others in the market making it the ideal choice for your loved ones who lead an active lifestyle.
This wheelchair can only be shipped within US and to APO/FPO addresses only.
Rating : 4.1 out of 5 stars
Price : US $400.36
Where to buy : Amazon.com